The Essay The Essay

not horrible

Extremely insensitive to my keyboard, though; not sure if that's just me, or if that was intentional. If intentional, rather annoying - there's nothing satisfying about battling the controls of a game the whole way. I had to really pound the keys for them to register.

Just a little typing game though, so not a huge deal.

Lasted 2 minutes exactly, thanks Mavis Beacon!

Tesla Death Ray Tesla Death Ray

Addictive

Rather limited in upgrades though. It'd be nice if there was a bit more strategy involved, and maybe an upgrade that reduced recharge time for the battery, since that's the only real limiting factor to firepower.

Also, to the guy who said you lifted 'tesla death ray' from the Prestige: for shame. The real Nikola Tesla was thought to have worked on an energy weapon.

Alvin's Alps Alvin's Alps

Cute

The mammoth is really adorable, and the basic game is solid even if the claustrophobic levels make platforming really fiddly. Worst music ever, though, especially when every single sound effect layers over it, including the end of level music.

Support Group Support Group

Blurgh

Besides the loading bug and, as everyone before has said, the lack of meaningful interactivity or decision-making, the grammar and spelling were atrocious. "I am problemed"? Really?

Radical Fishing Radical Fishing

Cool game, bad pacing

I actually like the simple graphics, but the music's annoying as hell and please, LABEL the BUTTONS. I went into the menu the second time wondering what the bucket button did, which admittedly was foolhardy of me, but come on. You have got to label that as 'reset.' I like the cast/reel/shoot combination.

Strange New World Strange New World

Pretty nice

I have seen this "story" spot-the-difference thing done a few times before, particularly that choose-your-own-adventure one that was featured not too long ago. This was alright, the differences seemed fair, maybe even a little easy. Not a big fan of the art, but then I'm really picky about that kind of thing; the magenta and the general blobbiness wasn't too easy on the eyes. Like the story idea, though.

Bongo Boom Battlegrounds Bongo Boom Battlegrounds

Not bad at all

There's actually a tiny little straight-up Patapon game you can find here on NG, but it's dismally short. I've been looking for something like it too, so this hit the spot, more or less. I never had any problem with the beat - since it IS going fairly fast, it's possible to recover from any errors that much faster. Sure it was pretty much lifted from Patapon, but that was obviously intentional and there's nothing else like it online as far as I can tell.

It really needs a menu, where you can customize your army whenever you want (rather than just before starting levels) and see the command list (because if you missed it the first time, you're screwed). The basic spearmen seemed buggy in that they moved backwards when they attacked, so that sometimes they would end up behind the flagbearer, accomplishing nothing.

Also: does the enemy level up at exactly the same rate you do? It seemed that whenever I got a new kind of unit, the enemy would gain it the same level, so that the difficulty remained the same.

A nice little game that I'll probably be replaying occasionally.

Arcanorum Arcanorum

Awkward

The dialogue and text need serious proofreading, and the controls were really awkward. During fights in small levels, it was almost entirely a matter of luck whether or not it was going to turn into one big clusterscrew with all of the ships stuck together. Even on the more reasonable levels, entire ships were constantly getting stuck to my weapon, and flinging them off is just a big waste of time. A little more direction would be nice in some scenarios too; the rockfall level was unexpected and more than a little irritating.

The idea is interesting though, it reminds me of Balloon Wars. The physics and writing just need a lot of work.

Canabalt Canabalt

Addicting

It's like what Mirror's Edge should have been! I've never been a fan of endless games for the sake of high scores, but it's fun and the music does a lot to keep up the feeling of tension. My only problem with it is that, because the levels are random, you'll sometimes get a jump that would be easy at high speeds, but is practically impossible when you're still picking up speed, particularly those buildings where you have to jump in a window that you can't see coming. Great fun though; is there any possibility of a downloadable version?

Tankmen: Incursion Tankmen: Incursion

Oh God My Eyes

Frenetic camera =/= frenetic shooter. The jumpy camera and the zooming has got to go. Either it's twitching around while I'm shooting or it's zoomed in so tight I can't see where I'm going. The heavy textures and the bright effects aren't making things any easier either.

Gameplay itself was fine. Nothing new, but fun enough.